Thursday, October 6, 2011


Day 2- Met at the Lake Hotel at the ungodly hour of 7:30 and were immediately whisked away to Fishing Bridge where... we... saw... otters! Nine years in Yellowstone and I finally saw my first otter at the end of May and now here! Apparently I've been hanging out in the wrong neighborhoods. Lisa used the big 3D map of the Lake to show us where different things were located as well as various underwater craters and thermal features. At the stop at the General Store, I got cookies and cream Wilcoxson's. It was awesome
Next stop was Mary Bay. While we were hiking, I realized that I really hadn't been out much this year when I realized that I kept blowing my water back into my Camelback (to keep it from freezing).
We started walking the Storm Point trail. There is apparently alot going on here what with various collapsed craters (this happens when a cap collapses under its own weight, you can spot a tell-tale collapsed crater becasue there is no breccia (bretch-ya) and no rim), fractures in the lake shore.
While talking to Lisa, I discovered that she knows a lot of Gardiner folks including one known as "Babbette." It took awhile to piece it together, but finally figured out that Babbette actually works  in my building under another name. The things we find out about people!
We stopped at Sedge Bay where we got to see a thermal dome. Apparently, there are "all kinds" of thermal vents under here. We also got to see an example of a stock, which is possibly what is going to happen to Black dog in the future.
There were a couple of other stops including Lake Butte and Beach Springs and then we were back to Lake Hotel where I finished up the day with a well-deserved fancy-drink adn then jetted off to find the Veg trailer so I could go to sleep relatively early and be prepared for the next day which, at least on paper, is going to last two hours longer than today.
We saw a ton of animals
Golden Eagle
Otters (worth noting again)
Pupster tied under car(?)
Garter snake

Frog











Pelicans
Cormorants

No comments: