Monday, July 20, 2015

Thorofare Trip Day 4

What does one wear in early morning camp? Well... here you go!
 My feet were tired, blistered, and sore, and we were going to be staying in the same place for the night, so I begged off the day hike. Instead, I stayed at the Thorofare Ranger Station and cleaned the mouse poop off the mattresses, Then swept, did some yoga, and meditated. Then I remembered my stories of Bob Flather in the back country and spent some time... sunbathing. I also took a whole bunch of pictures of the inside, took everything off the shelves and took photos of items that might be of interest for the library/archives/museum. Also, I took a bunch of pictures inside and outside the Ranger Station. I also took the EMS kit down and checked it out. Most of the meds expired in 2003. The one that didn't? Expired in 1988. Woo hoo.
I also washed my clothes and some dishes and worked on cleaning up and padding my blisters.
Heidi, Jane, and Jeff got back around 3, much earlier than their estimated 6pm. So I hiked out with them to two little ponds, just about 3 miles round trip. Only one aquatic plant but we did get back to the cabin just before the rain hit. So that was good.




A Poem
Oh what to drink in the backcountry?
Where the creeks flow free, clear, and wild?
Mountain fresh water? Oh no, no sir.
We need something less mild.
Vanilla Chai and Sweet & Spice Tea
Enough caffeine for you and for me
Pumpkin Lattes to drink at the dawn
Whiskey Manhattans packed in with elan,
Vodka-laced tang to go down with a bang,
Double-fisting is best when you're out in the West.

No comments: