Sunday, March 21, 2010

Guatemala-arrival

On Saturday morning I woke up and wandered around the gated community for awhile until Susan's grandma picked me up for breakfast. We went to a Cuban restaurant in a part of town that "my mother would kill her for bringing me to." It was delicious and Grandma Byrnes' friends were AWESOME. They've been going to this place for the last twenty years after their workout class.
She dropped me off at the Tampa airport, where I was sent to the body scanner but they let my half-full water bottle through. Whatever.
I met Jane and we chatted until it was time to get on the plane and we went to Miami. Had a nice dinner there. Then we got on the plane to leave the country. It took less time to get to Guatemala than it did to get from Denver to Tampa. We went to a fairly nice hotel and went to sleep. Well, tried to, the alarm in the room next door kept going off all night. Then, there were some... people... in the room next door. They were making noises... at 1 in the morning. Jane interpreted the noises as children screaming. My mind... went another route. Just saying... it was a little awkward the next morning when she wanted to confront two kids at the elevator but, Thank GOD, they got off on a floor other than ours.

1 comment:

TD and his dog Spot said...

The timing of your noisy floormates is odd. I've been living at the local hostel for the last month. Most of us are overnighters, students, or have real jobs, so the place is generally silent after about 10 PM (of course, this is winter; summer is a different story). One recent evening, though, I found myself similarly serenaded by a vigorously couple in the next room. It was bearable until the floor – and hence MY bed – began to reflect their rhythm. Just a couple o’ young mammals enjoying life, I reminded myself, but I really, really wanted a shower the next morning.