Saturday, March 20, 2010

Guatemala

I've been really remiss in recording what went on a couple of weeks ago when I went down to Guatemala. I left work on Thursday night and spent the night at the Holiday Inn in Belgrade. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Didn't have to drive at three o'clock in the morning (I had bumped a deer on that Tuesday, I think it lived and no damage to my car but still very startling) and it was going to cost upwards of $50 to park my car anyway so, what the heck? Yeah. The "heck" was the fact that the guy in the room above me had something going on with him so he was walking back and forth all frickin' night and kept flushing the toilet and the g-darn pipes were right behind my headboard. If I have to do this again, I'm requesting a room on the top floor. I didn't sleep very much and the one o'clock phone call from mother didn't help. At five I was on the bus to the airport. The flight from Bozeman to Denver was pretty good but the flight from Denver to Tampa was hell. The two kids in front of me were screechers and for three-plus hours their mother alternately yelled things like, "DO YOU WANT ME TO KILL YOU?" and "DO YOU WANT ME TO RIP OUT YOUR TONGUE?" and their father slept across the aisle. Blergh.
I was staying with my friend Susan in Tampa. Well, at her house anyway. She was gone and her roommate had to work so I was on my own. I ate some really good food at a French restaurant and, after going to one wrong gated community, finally found her house and went to sleep.

No comments: