Monday, August 12, 2013

Two Oceans Plateau - Day One

 Woke up at 5 when my pedometer reminded me that I usually have a Turbo class. I dozed until 5:45 when we all had decided to wake up. Packed up the tents and we were off to the marina. After about a half an hour, Bruce Sefton showed up and we were on the boat and puttering up onto Lake Yellowstone. 
What a ride! Definitely a favorite part of the trip. If you turned your head sideways into the wind, it would blow up your nose, into the nasal cavity, and feel just really weird.
After an hour and fifteen minutes, we made it to terrace point. Jane jumped off the boat and we fed her the packs.
My pack, by the way, is HUGE. I used part of the time re-packing so my pack wasn't so dang high over my head.
So when we got off the boat, we tramped up to the trail(about 50 feet up). Jane, Heidi, and I went straight back down and skinny-dipped in the Lake. It was fantastic. Well, fantastically cold anyway. 
Ready to go

Playing with panorama

Heidi and Matt on the boat

Yoga on a boat!
Yes, we hadn't even hiked any or worked up a sweat an we were in the water. Awesome.
Matt brought his pole along and while the four of us were drinking tea, we heard a yell. Heidi ran down to capture the moment on film. It looks like maybe a 21-22 inch cutthroat. Matt was glowing for a good long while after that.
After that rather longish tea break, we were on our way to 6B4.
It was way the hell back in the woods but right next to a creek so it all evened out. We arrived around 1:30 an Heidi pulled her surprise out of the bag. It was gin and tonics. Can NOT believe that girl schlepped gin, tonic, and ice into the backcountry. 
So... We commenced to drinking early into our arrival.




Bear Bags! (and Jane and Heidi)

Then, Heidi and Matt went off to fish while Trudy, Jane, and I hung back and filtered water. Alas, Matt caught no fish. So we sat down to play Farkle. I went out with over eleven thousand points and the next closest person needed two thousand to beat me. That darn Heidi. She got three thousand.

No comments: