Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Guatemala-Wednesday

Wednesday, hump day. I was looking forward to being halfway done. In the morning, I helped do more concrete in the country house. We finished up in time for lunch. After that was more ESL with the pastor and his wife. I also helped bring wood from the top tier (the pastor's house) into one of the school classrooms. So there were these great long boards that I was carrying one end of. When we walked onto the school grounds, all of the kids started yelling "Jessica, Jessica." I felt like a rock star. After putting the boards down, we noticed that one of the things the kids were learning was English. One of their sentences was "My name is Linda."
Well.
One of the women in our group said, "My name is Linda!" And the kids looked at her wonderingly and then very obediently parroted, "My name is Linda." It was so... darn... cute!
That night was pretty fun as we all went to Zacapa and danced the night away with another CALMS group from Indy. Okay, our group danced and the other group kind of sat. The band was awesome especially since it was Jovanni (Yo-van-nee)'s marimba band. Very, very fun.
Only depressing part of the day came from the dentist's group. They had to pull out the permanent molars of an eight-year-old. Just eight years old and her teeth were that bad. Blergh.

No comments: