Monday, April 12, 2010

An exciting weekend

I hope to finish up my exploits in Guatemala soon but I'll throw in a little about my weekend. Friday night was a blast, watching the Gardiner school kids put on a play with the Missoula Children's Theater. This group sends pairs of people all over the states and seventeen countries to work with kids everywhere. Monday, they hold auditions and then practice the rest of the week with the play on Friday. This year's play was a riff off of Robinson Crusoe and was funny, touching and so... damn... cute. Especially the little K-1 chameleons.
Saturday, Heidi and I went up to Livingston to participate in the Trout Unlimited River Cleanup. We ended up getting assigned to the Carbella put out, about 10 miles from Gardiner. A lot of time in the car that day. But we cleaned up quite a bit of trash. My best was a pair of waders. Heidi found a stash of dirty magazines. But we did a good thing, got to enjoy the beautiful weather, got a free lunch, and I won a shirt in the raffle. Woo hoo!
I got back into town with time to spare for a shower and change before the annual Gardiner chapter of the Ducks Unlimited Banquet. For the past five years I've been a Duck Girl. I run around selling raffle tickets and then helping carry items for the live auction. Actually, this year I helped run tickets for buyers to sign. What the hey, it's an hour of open bar, free dinner, and time spent with people I don't normally get to see. It's also one of the very few nights of the year that I'll go out to the bar and stay later than 10 o'clock.
Sunday, I again joined Heidi, but this time also Mariah, Leigh Ann and Trudy to head up to Bozeman for the last Symphony performance of the year. The soloist was okay but the second half was the music from Stanislaki's Petrouchka. The director stopped after each act to explain what would have been going on if this had been the ballet. It was incredible.
We stopped off at the Second Street Bistro in Livingston for dinner. They have the best cocktails in this area. On Sundays, they also have a pizza buffet. Well, they bring pizzas around and offer you pieces of some really great food. Quite a wonderful weekend.

No comments: